Sunday, June 10, 2012

Crowdsourcing help needed: how many microbes are brought into human GI tract via food? #microbiome

Quick but somewhat complex question here that came up at a recent meeting I went to - someone wanted to know:

How many microbes come into the human GI tract from outside sources (e.g., food)?

Other related questions:

  • How many cells /day?
  • How many are alive?
  • How many kinds come in?
  • How much flow through is there vs. digestion vs. colonization?

Note - I know there have been many studies of pathogens on food and how they get into the GI tract, but what about non pathogens?

Any references or #s would be very helpful.

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...